St Andrew’s, Prestwold
Services are held on a Sunday morning at 9.15am.
How to find us
There has been a church in Prestwold for many centuries and some of the present building is over 600years old. Today St Andrew’s Church continues to serve the villages of Burton on the Wolds, Hoton, Prestwold and Cotes. We offer support to all our villages by providing Sunday services and welcoming people for baptisms, weddings and by being available for funerals.
We are a friendly and welcoming church seeking to encourage people in their Christian faith no matter what their age or preferences in worshiping style. Visiting a church can be daunting at first but we hope that you soon find yourself at home here and make friends quickly. We provide a focus for friendship and community and also seek to help wider society through our support to a wide range of charities both local and national.
We look forward to getting to know you.
Everyone is welcome to attend our Services which are held each Sunday at 9.15am.
The first Sunday of the month is a more relaxed family
The second and third Sundays are modern Holy Communion services with organ led praise using traditional hymns.
The fourth Sunday is a more traditional reflective Holy Communion service using the Book of Common Prayer.
Services do vary so please check the website or church noticeboard.
St Andrew’s is a medieval Parish church of interest as it is almost the sole survivor of the medieval village of Prestwold, destroyed in the enclosure of the estate. The west tower is late 14th century, buttressed, with four principal stages and two light traceried openings to the bell chamber. The west door has two light traceried windows above with corbel heads and hood mould decorated frieze below an embattled parapet. A restoration in 1743 provided the church with a nave in the classical style with round-headed windows, oculi and south door in architrave.
Sir A. Blomfield largely rebuilt the church in 1890. The nave of four bays is 1890, with curvilinear traceries to windows and the SE having a stilted arch, The chancel retains much medieval masonry showing two builds in the south wall and a two light reticulated, traceried window with shafts and a blocked wide lancet window. The Victorian Y lancet, south door, east wall and window are all of 1890.
A further complete renovation was carried out by Manpower services in 1985 under the direction of foreman Mr E Humphries. The work spanned 2 years and included re roofing, rewiring, rebuilding of the churchyard wall and the cleaning of every gravestone.
In 1994 Taylor’s of Loughborough rehanged the bells, which now numbered 8
In 2004 a major refurbishment of the west end and porch was carried out. The balcony, which had been removed in 1890, was re built. The ringing chamber lowered and toilet facilities and a small catering area with storage cupboard, to house cleaning equipment installed. The font was restored and moved from the porch to the rear right hand side of the nave and a ramp installed on the left hand side, providing access for wheelchair users.